April 23rd, 2017
Submitted by: Donald Pang
The best interior design and product design courses will offer furniture design modules. If you want a career in furniture design, a degree in either field will qualify you. Depending on the country you are in, one of the two degrees will be more popular. So, search on furniture design jobs in your area just to be sure.
Even if your search results prove the other course to be more popular, you can still pursue your course of interest. Just be prepared to impress with a strong portfolio or several relevant internships.
How to choose the best course:
Begin with the end in mind. Search for your dream job online!
1) Do a basic search on job portals like jobstreet or jobsdb for furniture designer, interior designer or product designer.
2) Shortlist the jobs you like best based on the job description and responsibilities.
3) Look at the job requirements and find out which skills or certifications you need most.
You may be discouraged at first thinking that the job will not be there when you graduate. So it might put you off from searching. In actual fact, the design industry has a high turnover rate as designers are always hopping around for better opportunities. So it would help to search up some reputable interior design or furniture design companies.
Need motivation to study? Landing a job in a top design company is an ideal reason to go to school for! Pick the best design school for yourself. This will encourage you to study hard with many more reasons.
Now that you know what they want, start looking at course modules from top design schools.
1) Make sure that the school teaches you what is needed in your future job requirements.
2) Look out for their track record of award winners and successful alumni.
3) Visit the school and see if they have professional facilities like workshops and computers with designing software.
Still have trouble deciding?
These are three key differences between interior designers and product designers:
1) Design and creative skills
The interior designer can:
– Analyze spaces in real estate.
– Visualize the best creative treatment for given job instructions and budget.
– Understand architecture and how best to utilize space given.
The product designer can:
– Understand the properties of various materials to achieve the best results according to job instructions and budget.
– Create products from old materials to give objects a new life.
– Work with engineers to create attractive appearances for electronic objects or machinery like laptops or cars.
2) Professional contribution to society
The interior designer:
– Creates different atmospheres and illusions by playing with dcor, colors, and lighting. They make indoor environments pleasant to be in or suitable for work productivity.
The product designer:
– Invents new product variations to enhance looks, quality, and/or user-friendliness of various objects.
3) Job scopes
The interior designer can take on the following assignments:
– Housing interior design
– Design for F&B outlets
– Office design
– Exhibition design
– Retail design
The product designer can take on the following assignments:
– Product customizing
– Electrical product designing
– Lighting design
– Transportation design
– Spatial Design
And the list above is non-exhaustive! Generally, the more assignments you can take on as a designer, the higher your market value. You can command a higher salary. And widen your choices of career opportunities.
About the Author: Do you want to study product and
in Asia Pacific?
Raffles Design Institute
operates 38 design schools in 14 countries such as Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia, Singapore, Sydney Australia, India, China, Bangkok Thailand, Manila – Philippines and Vietnam, etc.